Tuesday, July 7, 2015

bump watch: weeks 9 & 10

These were the weeks of the doula search. My midwife practice highly recommends hiring a doula - especially for first-time moms. After doing some research into exactly what doulas do, I needed no further convincing. Who wouldn't want someone who is there solely to support you and your husband non-stop for the entire length of your labor?

One article I recently read put it this way:
"Have you ever cut your hair yourself? It might turn out okay, but then you get it done at the salon with the hypnotizing head message and the mysterious, magical products and the blow-out-you-can-never-replicate and you realize, yeah, that was better with professionals. That's kind of what doulas are to birth."

Typical doula services include 1-2 prenatal visits to get to know you know, discuss your birth plan and teach you some pain management techniques. When you go into labor, they usually come to your house in early labor and help you decide when it's time to go the hospital or birth center. They stay with you throughout labor and a few hours after delivery to make sure all is well with mom, dad and new baby. There is also a postpartum visit to see how everyone is adjusting to their new normal. On top of that, they are available for questions throughout your entire pregnancy and most have a large lending library of great resources.

Again, once you realize everything they do, it sounded like a bargain to me. The good news is that there are many, many doulas in the DC area. The bad news is that it's really hard to choose with so many great options!

I was getting an early start on my search, but I knew the December delivery complicated things a bit because not everyone takes clients around the holidays. I interviewed 5 doulas over the course of two weeks. There were things I really liked about all of them, which made the decision ridiculously hard. I ultimately chose a team of two doulas who have both helped deliver over 200+ babies. It's like I'm getting two amazing resources for the price of one.

Other items of note:

At the beginning of week 9, I had my first official appointment with my midwife practice. There are several midwives in the practice so I'll rotate through all of them before my delivery. So far, so good.

Jon sent me flowers for Mother's Day, which was very sweet. It feels very surreal that I'm going to be a mom. I guess that's why they give you 9 months to let it sink in.

I'm still tired, and still not enjoying a healthy appetite, but not all is lost. I'm still going to yoga/pilates barre classes 3x week and powering through. It's hard to not have the energy to do everything I want to do, but I know the end is near.

Current cravings: watermelon and fruit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment