Monday, January 27, 2014

child of the 90s

Have you seen this Internet Explorer commercial? It's been making the rounds lately, and I love it. I can't help it. I'm a Millennial. BUT I don't live with my parents, I have a real job, and I make my bed every morning...so please don't hate me.


This inspired me to share my pogs story (which was just auto-corrected to "pigs"). It's still a little painful, but time heals all wounds. Pogs were huge when I was in elementary school. HUGE. Of course, I wanted pogs. It was a matter of social life or death on the playground. But my mom wouldn't buy me regular pogs. I'm guessing she had a problem with some of the pogs' themes. Whatever that means. She insisted I get Christian pogs. It should be noted that I went to a private Christian school so all the other kids must have been real heathens for playing with *gasp* pogs. The horror.

Like most Christian merch, they were a little slow on the uptake. By the time our local Bible book store had pogs, and I had properly stocked up on "Jesus Loves You!" slammers, they weren't cool anymore. Yeah, it still hurts.

If you've ever been deprived of pogs or have a similar childhood story, I highly recommend you check out this blog post: 20 Signs You Grew Up a Church Kid. Sure, I missed out on pogs, but I had a pretty great Precious Moments collection and I got to listen to all the Adventures in Odessy tapes I wanted (Tapes. I'm old). So thanks, Mom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment