Monday, December 23, 2013

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Ate My Cookies

After our holiday open house, I sent some leftover cookies home with our friend Judd. Judd was kind enough to take them off our plate and to his office for sharing. Well, it just so happens that Judd is a clerk for Chief Justice Roberts - who apparently has quite the sweet tooth. This is what Judd sent me the next day:

"The cookies were a smash hit. I put all of them out on a plate in the main chambers, and by the end of the day they were completely gone. I think I might get fired if I told you how many the Chief ate, but suffice it to say, he very much appreciated them."

Needless to say, this made my day (if not my entire life). So without further adieu, here is the recipe for one of the cookie varieties I shared with Judd. I am now calling these Supreme Court Cookies.

Supreme Court Cookies (Previously known as Chocolate Kiss Cookies)

1-1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, unbeaten
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar (for rolling)
1 pkg. chocolate kisses
1.  Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.

2.  Cream together shortening, peanut butter, 1/2 cup white sugar and brown sugar.  Add egg, milk and vanilla and mix well.  Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Chill.

3.  Using a teaspoon, shape into balls.  Roll balls in 1/2 cup white sugar and place on ungreased baking sheet.

4.  Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.  Remove from oven and press 1 chocolate kiss on each cookie, pressing down until cookie cracks around edges.

5.  Bake another 3-5 minutes.

Many thanks to Dorry Evitt, who is responsible for this recipe (and almost every cookie recipe) in my recipe box. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment